"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Vista Battery Life Myth

I do not know from where it's coming the Idea of Vista sucking 30 minutes of Battery Life. When I had Vista in my Q1 without any power managment installed (from Samsung) I was getting a battery life of around 2 hours. When I had it with XP, I was getting around 2 hours and 15 minutes. Now that I installed the power managment profile that came with the Q1p Vista preinstalled I'm getting 2 hours and 10 minutes. And I have not touched anything, I just installed all Vista Drivers that came with the Q1p Vista Preinstalled. 30 minutes represent 21% of less battery life and I can tell you for sure that I have not seen that neither in my Q1 or my eo v7110. You will get less battery life but is not 20%, it's not 10% and it's not even 5%. If you ask me, if that's the price to pay for having a handwriting recognition that is a lot, and when I say a lot I mean like 5 times better than what you have experienced so far in XP, then I'll say that I'm glad to pay that price.

And I hope my dear readers that by know you know me enough to know that when I want to check something I spent my time doing my homework. I do not go by other people tests, I run my own ones.

I believe that the myth of Vista using more battery life came from the first people that installed it in their machine and did not configure properly the Power profiles. And a proof of that is that Samsung released it own power profile which is different than the Maximum Battery Life Profile of Vista.

There are people that installed Vista in a Q1 before me. But probably I'm the only one that installed and never went back to XP, I kept using Vista fighting with all drivers problems until I got it all right (even better than Samsung did because I got the real HID Driver from the maker of the Touch Screen :-))

7 comments:

  1. I'm never sure whether to reply here or at OrigamiProject. See my reply there:

    http://origamiproject.com/forums/permalink/19788/19788/ShowThread.aspx#19788

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Just answered there but I'll say it here again.


    there is a big difference between the results to saw using Microsoft Power Saving Profile and the ones I'm getting since I'm using Samsung's Power Saving Profile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not clear. My last test DID use the 'Samsung Power Saving Profile'. And I saw the same results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lets put it in a different way. Everything is a give and take. The advantages of using Vista are for me more than a few minutes less of battery life.

    In my case it's not that big difference in minutes. In your case, John, I would consider to buy a extended battery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think the complaint is between xp and vista. I have a macbook where I run mac os 10.4 and vista, and whenever I'm in macOS, the full battery goes for 4-5 hours. When I reboot and log into vista, it is a little over 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a myth. I reinstalled XP on my gateway tablet because it gives me about 4:20 battery life, as opposed to Vista's 2:10. On Vista my processor would also hit 75 degrees C on battery when the system was "idle". On XP it hovers around 52 degrees C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just by optimizing a little bit Vista you are going to get about the same battery. Another question would be, did you have install SP1? SP1 should have taken care of your problem.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.