"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Saturday, June 23, 2007

GeeXboX, a substitute for AVSNow?

gx-play-fullI have to confess that the only thing that I know about Linux is thanks to my few hours of experience with Ubuntu. This is why I have to depend here on those readers of mine that really love Linux. My question is, can this GeeXbox be and to replace our AVSNow partition?

GeeXboX is a free embedded Linux distribution which aims at turning your computer into a so called HTPC (Home Theater PC) or Media Center. Being a standalone LiveCD-based distribution, it's a ready to boot operating system than works on any Pentium-class x86 computer or PowerPC Macintosh, implying no software requirement. You can even use it on a diskless computer, the whole system being loaded in RAM.
Technorati Tags:

9 comments:

  1. I tried it some time ago in my T700 and it works fine. The only thing I was not able to get running is the WiFi card of the T700, even using the XP drivers on Linux. I'm not sure why it didn't work, because is supposed that GeeXboX supports the use of Windows drivers for network cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeap, But I don't know how the Q1 will read if you delete the AVS Now Partition. The other thing is how to take that ISO to create a new Linux partition in your HDD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you boot from the CD just type "install" in the "Boot:" prompt and you will be taken into an installation process so you can place GeeXboX in a local partition. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say that it can also be installed to an USB flash memory. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and that creates a multi boot that will work with Vista in my other partition?

    But even if that's the case the goal would be to use the Q1 switch to boot in either partition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hum... I don't remember about the multi boot, but that can be done by using a third party boot manager, there are some of these really good and free.

    For the AVS switch, it would be necessary to know more details about what Q1 does to boot when the switch is used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Just tried the release candidate 3 and it did not work, it gases me an error saying that could not find my eternal CD.

    I'll try later today the official version 1.

    Do you know of anything like partition magic but for free? and of course with Vista Support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one doesn't look too bad:

    http://partitionlogic.org.uk/

    You can use a bootable CD or USB memory to launch it.

    Of course, it's free so I guess you cannot blame the author if it breaks something. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prepared a USB Disk but I can't get it booting. Let me prepare it again.

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.