"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Sunday, September 02, 2007

From your UMPC to your TV using a GXP 2000

P9020017I recently had the opportunity to test the Grandtec Grand Ultimate XP GXP 2000 PC to TV converter. I have to say that while I was really impressed with how the Samsung Q1 performed in this task I was not impressed at all with this converter. It took me a long time to set it in my Toshiba HD TV 42" to get a view where I could read the letters or the screen of any opened application. In a Sanyo 22" TV was just impossible. I have to say that I tested the RCA Video connection and the S-Video but this converter has and RGB out and a Component Video out which should give better video out to your HD TV.P9020035

Watching video the GXP 2000 performed a lot better but the picture was not that sharp like the one I was getting in the Q1. Despite all this I decided to watch a movie this Sunday afternoon using my 15 hours per month of Instant Movies from Netflix.

The first problem was Network connectivity. I do have WiFi at home but the speed of it did not convince me for this task so I decided to use a Netgear Wall-plugged Bridge XE102. I have been using these bridges to connect my Tivo via Slingbox to my WiFi Router located in another room of my house and I'm really very pleased with them. And I was right, the Netflix player connected to a higher speed than using the Q1 WiFi Card and higher speed means better image quality.

One video clip in cases like this says more than 1000 words so here it's:

You can find more pictures of the GXP 2000 here.

Conclusion

You can find PC to TV converter in the range of $50 to $120. This one is sold for around $90. While this one performed Ok playing movies if was almost unusable reading a web page or any kind of small text. So in a scale from 1 to 10, I would give this a 6.

Technorati Tags:

[Discuss This Topic]

No comments: