"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Friday, April 25, 2008

Should Microsoft keep XP?

I was reading CNET News today to find Ballmer's comments about Microsoft's plans to phase out XP this summer.

"XP will hit an end-of-life. We have announced one. If customer feedback varies, we can always wake up smarter, but right now, we have a plan for end-of-life for new XP shipments," Ballmer said during a Thursday news conference in Belgium, according to Reuters.

I think that something is wrong with Microsoft's feedback and as MVP I think that I gonna start sending my feedback to them the best I can. So far the majority of people that I talk to and has bought new PCs has downgraded them to XP. I love Vista, that's what I use in my UMPC which is my main PC. But that does not mean that I'm blind. Vista still slow like hell. Vista still have a lot of problems with drivers - I know that this is not Microsoft faults - and this makes it a OS not good for business. Think about it, business do not go crazy every year buying new hardware and basically what I have seen is that OEMs are not going back to create Vista drivers for old hardware, they are pushing businesses to buy new hardware Vista Ready. Even software companies are doing the same. For example, the version of Norton Antivirus Enterprise Edition that I'm using in the company that I'm working for is not compatible with Vista. If I want to switch now to Vista and Windows Server 2008 I have to buy their new version. What for? First of all, I'm not that happy with NA to think about buying a new version from them.

In a few words, switching to Vista is painful for Businesses and for some home users. It means not only learning and training people to use a new OS, but buying new hardware and software, expenses that are not needed or just are not smart in a time where USA Finances are not so good. So, either the reports that Ballmer reads every morning about Vista are just lies or he just want to ignore them. Users love XP and users do not like at all Vista. That's a fact that I can't ignore even when I love Vista. It's slow - even with SP1 - and it still have a lot of drivers issues. And it's the last thing I would recommend to any business owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.