"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Windows XP was not a lot better

I read daily a lot of comments from people frustrated with Vista, the latest operating system from Microsoft and all of them have one thing in common, they end saying that they are going back to XP because XP is just a lot better.

Well, today, I read a not at Engadget that pointed me to an article where the author asked Bill Gates about an email sent by him describing his frustrations with Microsoft's Web Site and... You guessed... Windows XP.

Someone decided to trash the one part of Windows that was usable? The file system is no longer usable. The registry is not usable. This program listing was one sane place but now it is all crapped up.

But that is just the start of the crap. Later I have listed things like Windows XP Hotfix see Q329048 for more information. What is Q329048? Why are these series of patches listed here? Some of the patches just things like Q810655 instead of saying see Q329048 for more information.

What an absolute mess.

The above is just one of the comments of Bill Gates reflecting his frustration with the fact that he could not download and install Movie Maker. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I can't make Movie Maker to recognize my own profiles in my Vista Machine. The funny thing is that I went and downloaded the version 2.6 prepared for machines that do not have Aero and that version do recognize and work fine with those profiles. So... After 5 years, because that email was sent in 2003, we have not seen a lot of improvement with WMM.

But anyway, my whole point is that back in 2003 people were complaining about XP probably in the same way that probably those same ones now are complaining about Vista. And probably in about 5 years those same people will tell you that Vista is the best OS that they have used ever.

Full text: An epic Bill Gates e-mail rant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.