"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Vista does not like my P1610

I feel so bad. I have been using Vista in my Q1 for more than a year and when I bought the P1610 the only thing that was not in my mind was to use it with XP. I checked all the web and I found everywhere people installing Vista in their P1610 without any issues. So Yesterday I did not bother to play with my P1610 and XP, I just went and started to install Vista on it. And after around 2 hours of installation this is what I got:

P4300012

I called Fujitsu Tech support after trying for a Second time and getting the same error right in the same spot during the installation, and you guessed, the lady on the phone knew nothing about this issue. After talking with her for around 30 minutes and telling her that every single thing that she was recommending me to do I already have done it she gave me Microsoft free tech support number saying that it was a Microsoft issue because XP was running on my machine without any problem so it was not a hardware problem.

Of course, I did not called Microsoft, Microsoft has everything well documented in their sites. I searched the error number 0x0000007E and I found this page.

A "Stop: 0x0000007E" error message or a "Stop: 0x0000008E" error message typically means that a kernel mode component, such as a driver, encountered an error that could not be handled by the built-in Windows error handler.

If I knew which one was the one with the problem. But the error is during the installation and when you restart the PC the only thing you get is a message saying that the installation was not completed and that you have to start over from the beginning.

I tried also upgrading instead of a full clean install but the result is the same. The upgrade ends in a BSOD.

Now, I'm trying again a clean install, this time a pre loaded some of the Fujitsu Driver using the Load Drivers from the installation and I'm using a different external DVD ROM and a I re-burned the Installation DVD that I downloaded from MS again in a new DVD from a different machine, just in case. So... in about... 2 hours I'll be back with the result.

If anyone knows about this error or can help me in any way, please let me know. TIA.

Update: Here I'm 8 hours later and 3 more installations that ended in BSOD. I disabled in the BIOS the BT, WiFi and Ethernet and tried it and that did not fix the problem either. I also tried an upgrade running the setup from the HDD, but that did not help.

Contacted again the Fujitsu Tech Support and they are going to escalate my ticket.

My next try is going to be install just Vista Business.

2 comments:

  1. Ha Frank. You just broke my heart! My P1610 (open box) will be delivered any moment now. My plan was (and still is) to do exactly same; load it with vista ultimate. I hope I have more luck than you and I hope you fix this problem. Despite all the negativity, vista is miles ahead of xp; get beyond the frustrations and tweaking and you will not revisit xp! I'll post an update when I'm done with mine. Your writings on umpcs have been an inspiration. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I still fighting! I won't back to XP!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.