"The only way to be truly satisfied, is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." Steve Jobs
Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never be able to live without it. Frank J. Garcia

My Surface PRO 3 'Must Have' Accessories List

Saturday, January 06, 2007

error 0x80070241, my Vista adventure

  1. I bought Vista Business about 3 weeks ago
  2. After 3 weeks waiting for the media DVD, I got 3 XP CDs
  3. I called Microsoft to find that the Vista DVDs have not been released yet even when according to Microsoft Press Releases, Vista was released to Business back in mid December 2006. They advised me to download Vista from my eopen account. I did that. Burned the ISO into a DVD.
  4. I tried to upgrade my Q1, failed, I got an error 0x80070241
  5. Uninstalled Norton Antivirus ( I had it disabled) and tried again ending with the same error.
  6. Changed the external DVD for a faster one, just in case, but I got again the same error.
  7. I downloaded again the 2 GB file. Compare my previous downloaded file with this one and they are identical.
  8. Google for this error and I found a lot of people with that problem and not help at all from Microsoft. The funny thing is this error means that one of the installation files is corrupted. But the truth is that all files are fine. The other funny thing is that this error have been present in all versions of Vista. And Microsoft never have posted any solution.
  9. Mounted the ISO in a virtual DVD and got the same error. This means that the more than 5 DVDs that I burned and throw out were good. Who will pay for all this Microsoft?
  10. Copied all files from my mounted Virtual DVD to my Q1 and launched the installation from there with the same result: error 0x80070241

So here I'm. 200 dollars poorer, with 3 Windows XP CDs that I do not need and I can't use, and dreaming with my Q1 upgraded to Vista. Please, do not advice me to do a clean install. I paid for an upgrade and I want that that I paid for working!

16 comments:

  1. I was able to get it installed without having that problem. If Norton Goback is installed and enabled, disable it. That solved the problem for me during the betas.

    I did have the same problem with Office 2007. Copying the files to the hard drive and installing from there solved that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you read my post? you are asking me to do what I did and did not work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ctitanic,

    What do you plan on doing with the 3 XP cds?

    My sister just bought a used pc, we did a clean install, and used the numbers from the XP sticker. Guess what? Somebody used that key on another pc.

    Anyway, we looking for XP cds.

    Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, the CDs are just the media, they do not have a Key. I don't think that you will be able to use them without a key. The only one I would keep for myself is the TabletPC 2005 Edition CD but I can send you the others two to you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I had the same problem with this error code and spent countless hours trying to install, even to the point where I re-installed XP.
    That's when I found the problem, just before I went and bought a new DVD drive and Hard drive.
    It was my memory modules, I had put in extra memory recently.
    I took them out and put the original memory back in and it worked.
    Hope this helps.

    Regards
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok here is a much easier way to fix this problem: goto http://www.vlite.net/changelog.html
    download this little tool. extract the contents of the ISO onto your hdd, start up vlite, select your feature and say go. this rebuilds the wim file which in turn stops the error.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you bring more information about this tip?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ye can weeder post a much more detailed, run through on how to fix the issue im totally lost. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also having the same problem 50% through the installation. Message reading “Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070241.”

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was having the same error pop up. I scoured the Internet and tried every fix I could find, and none of them helped, but the V-lite program did the trick. I don't know how it works, but it did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That did not work for me either. So I ended doing a clean install.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The advice from "weeder" (http://www.vlite.net/changelog.html ) worked wonders for me.

    I have made several darned Vista disks, and never been able to get past the 0x80070241 error code, but after making a new ISO image for Vista Ultimate only and burning it onto a new DVD, I was finally able to install Vista, and am now in my first hours of trying it out. So far I must say that I like what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i already have vlite software,but i dont know how to make this ISO content,and where to put it.
    please help me~~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Add me to the list. VLite worked for me too. I installed it and pointed to my original CD and had it recompile the files. Then I created an ISO and burned it to a disk. I am a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only thing that worked for me was to rip all the files from the DVD onto my hard drive and run it from there!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will be deleted, do not waste your time.