My first impressions.When I turned on the Fujitsu P1610 sent byAlltp.com the first thing I did was to open a new OneNote document in my Samsung Q1 and write down anything I though that could be of any interest for this review. Those were in fact my first impressions and this is what I wrote there:
- You can write with your hand touching the screen (See Picture). The P1610 screen is not too sensitive like Samsung Q1 screen. It reminds me the TabletKiosk eo v7110 screen. I also was surprised to see how bright this screen was. It's the best screen I have seen in a long time. Later I took the P1610 outside and turn it on close to my Samsung Q1 to establish a comparison. As you can see from the following picture the P1610 screen is a lot better than Q1 screen when they are outside.
- The CPU fan was very noisy and the P1610 was hotter than Samsung's Q1. It's cooler than TabletKiosk eo v7110 but hotter than Q1.
- The P1610 HDD is protected against vibrations by a program created by Fujitsu.
- I played a DVD Movie using VLC Player and the performance was good, no skipped frames.
- When you rotate the screen to use the P1610 as a Tablet PC the screen is rotated automatically to Portrait.
- Dialkeys came in this unit as an optional tool but to me is unusable. It just does not work well with the sensitivity of this screen. I likethe fact that Fujitsu did not install any trial version of programs such as antivirus and other kind of tools that you have to end buying after the trial period is over or uninstalling them. This unit have installed only what is really needed. OneNote 2003 came installed, and Evernote Plus came as an optional tool to be installed.
- The sound on this device was clear but the Q1 from Samsung has a better sound.
These were my notes.
Of course I wont let pass the opportunity of testing this unit to see how well it performs. I ran some benchmarks on it and here are the results.The first one was a BenchMark tool called HDBench.
The second test I ran was the 3DMark2001 Benchmark.
The P1610 performed very well in this test. To give you an idea, the Q1 scored 2979 at 800x480x32 while the P1610 scored 3669 at 1024x760. A really amazing score.
How big is the Fujitsu P1610?
The P1610 is really small and it's weight is about the same than the TabletKiosk eo v7110. But I think that a picture worth more than a 1000 words so I took some picture of the P1610 close to Samsung's Q1 and TabletKiosk's eo v7110.
Battery LifeI did not have enough time to run many battery tests but I did use the P1610 for some time connected to my WiFi router browsing the web. The battery life on this task was of 2 hours and around 15 minutes.
What else can I say?
The Fujitsu P1610 includes a integrated mic with noise reduction.
It also includes a internal modem and a Ethernet Card.
It includes a keyboard with a Speed Coefficient of 0.87 (1.0 is
the speed you get in a normal side keyboard).
What else would you want to see in a device of this side? The Fujitsu P1610 is just a Swiss Knife. None of the current UMPC in the market can come close to what this device offers. But at the same time you have to be prepare to pay around 2300 dollars if you want the P1610 loaded with 1 GB of RAM, a 60 GB HDD and Tablet PC Edition. One thousand dollars more than what you usually pay for the best loaded UMPC. If you are a professional photographer sending pictures to your news paper you wont find a better companion than this one. It's small but it's powerful at the same time. If you are in a field where you need a powerful Small Factor PC all the time with you, with a Inside/Outside display, the Fujitsu P1610 is what you are looking for. But if you are looking for a companion PC probably you will save 1000 dollars getting a UMPC. But keep in mind, it wont be that powerful.
What is my score for this device?
9 out of 10. I would give it a 10 if it was cheaper. It's true that you can get it for 1649 dollars but it will be lacking of HDD space, RAM and you wont be able to use all the features included in XP Tablet PC Edition (keep in mind that this device is Vista Capable and Vista includes by default these features).
You can customize your Fujitsu P1610 at alltp.com and I want to thank this company for sending me this unit for this review.You can check the rest of the 52 pictures and screen shots that I took for this review here.